Improving Lung Function
The Pulmonary Function Laboratory at Baylor Scott & White – Fort Worth offers a number of diagnostic procedures to assess patients' lung status.
The lab is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and is overseen by a certified respiratory care practitioner/pulmonary function technologist.
Pulmonary Function Tests
Pulmonary diagnostic procedures performed include:
- Arterial blood gas puncture and analysis
- Co-oximetry analysis
- Oximetry readings at rest, continuous and during exercise
- Complete and screening pulmonary function testing
- Apnea studies
- Methacholine challenge tests
- Bronchoscopy assistance
- Cardiopulmonary exercise stress testing
- Patients must be referred by their physician for an appointment at the Pulmonary Function Lab, and every test requires a prescription
Respiratory Care Services
Our specialists are always on site and ready with advanced equipment to help in any department, from our emergency department to our intensive care unit and our newborn nursery or neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
We also reach out to the community, offering guidance and care for people with chronic respiratory conditions.
Highly experienced and trained in both the diagnosis and treatment of breathing problems, our respiratory therapists draw on their experience to assess patient needs and offer appropriate care, as quickly and effectively as possible. We also work to help patients and their families understand the purpose, benefits, equipment and steps of each test or therapy.
Inpatient Pulmonology Services
- Diagnostic services including bronchoscopic testing and blood gas analyses
- Procedures to maintain a clear breathing pathway, such as intubation
- Mechanical ventilation and ventilator management
- Treatments, such as percussion and chest physiotherapy (CPT), to promote lung clearing
- Patient and family education, including self management skills
Outpatient Lung Care Services
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) is a minimally invasive way of diagnosing lung disease that makes biopsy of lung and lymph node tissue without traditional surgery possible
- Electroencephalograms (EEGs) for testing for patients with sleep apnea, which is a condition that hampers breathing during sleep
- EEG testing helps doctors detect brain wave abnormalities that can lead to breathing disorders
Lung Cancer Screening Program to diagnose lung cancer before symptoms develop
- Pulmonary Functioning Testing (PFTs) and blood gas analyses can be conducted to better understand how lung function is affecting other systems