It's never been easier to become a volunteer at Baylor Scott & White – Garland. Learn about the opportunities we have for volunteers:
How do Volunteers serve?
As a volunteer at Baylor, patients, families, and staff appreciate your time and service. From answering phones to comforting families during a traumatic event, our volunteers make a significant impact on our patients and the community. As a volunteer, your duties might include these areas*:
- Provide comfort, encouragement, and support to patients
- Assist staff on nursing units
- Deliver mail and flowers to patients
- Escort patients and visitors throughout the facility
- Assist in the gift shop
- Serve on hospital committees, auxiliary committees or the auxiliary board
- Sponsor fundraisers
- Award scholarships
- Participate in health fairs
- Assist with clerical support
- Perform general office duties
- Participate in a specialty program
What are Specialty Programs?
These volunteer placements may require special training or the volunteer may have experienced certain medical procedures. Areas include:
- Caring Heart
- Animal Assistance Therapy
What are the Rewards for Volunteering?
- The satisfaction of doing something for others
- The opportunity to share your skills
- Making a difference by serving our community
- The enjoyment of making new friends and having fun!
How do I Become a Volunteer?
If a placement is found for you, volunteers:
- Submit to a background screening
- Complete a two-step TB screening
- Complete a drug and nicotine screening
- Receive a flu vaccine if applicable
- Attend a general orientation session
- Receive specific assignment training
Adult Program - For adults 18 and older
We invite you to join us as a volunteer at Baylor Scott & White Health. Once we receive your request to volunteer, we will call you to schedule an interview. This will allow us to get to know you and learn about your interests, skills, and availability. We'll also have the opportunity to tell you more about our programs and what areas are a good fit for your experience and skills. You can apply to become a volunteer by completing our application. Applications are accepted year round for college volunteer positions.
Applications for high school students are accepted January 1 through March 17.
Eligible students must be at least 15 years old by January 1 and are considered in this category through the summer after high school graduation. High school students are required to apply online, as well as the additional step of submitting a 100 word essay describing what they anticipate getting from their summer volunteering experience (see email link below). All essays will be read by a panel, and students will be selected based upon their ability to convey their requests effectively.
Because participation is limited, students are encouraged to be detailed in their explanation of how they will use their health care volunteering experiences in college and their future vocation, as well as what they feel they have to offer Baylor Scott & White – Garland as a temporary member of our team. Once accepted into the program, several additional forms will be provided for completion before acceptance is finalized.
Students must be available to volunteer one full summer session (without interruption), either mornings or afternoons, Monday through Friday for three consecutive weeks.
Access our volunteer services
application. Fill out and submit the application. Then, click the link in the confirmation email to complete the application.
Be a part of a rewarding and fulfilling experience at Baylor Scott & White – Garland. Please contact us at 972.487.5520.