The Baylor Scott & White Health & Wellness Center’s Community Health Worker Training (CHW) Programs are a Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) approved CHW Training Site for both CHW and CHW Instructor Certification Programs. Both certification programs are a 160-hour competency based training program that cover the Texas 8 core competencies: Communication, Interpersonal, Service Coordination, Capacity-Building, Advocacy, Teaching, Organizational Skills and Knowledge. Each of the eight competencies is composed of 20 content hours.
Our programs prepare and train students for positions in community-oriented health and social services agencies and programs, provide health education, information and referrals, and client advocacy in both clinic and community settings. Our training programs emphasize health education and promotion as well as specific competencies for work in underserved and/or linguistically isolated communities. Upon successful completion of these program, students will receive a certificate of completion and will be able to apply to the Texas DSHS for either their CHW certification or CHW Instructor certification. Furthermore, for CHW Instructors, their certification will allow them to become affiliated with DHSH approved CHW Training Centers throughout Texas and train other CHWs with DSHS approved curriculum.
As a leader and primary resource for CHW and CHW Instructor trainings and certification programs, our vision is to certify new CHWs and Instructors while providing CEU opportunities both on-site and via distance learning. Our CEUs are focused on health-related topics as well as professional development.
A Community Health Worker (CHW):
- Is a trusted member of the community, and has a close understanding of the ethnicity, language, socio-economic status, and life experiences of the community served
- Acts as a liaison and provides cultural mediation between health care, social services, and the community
- Helps people gain access to needed services
- Builds individual, community, and system capacity through health knowledge and self-sufficiency
- Provides services through outreach, patient navigation, community health education and information
- Provides social support and advocacy to and for the community
This course is approved by the Texas Department of State Health Services TX DSHS CHW Program #23.
Community Health Worker Instructor (CHWI)
- Become affiliated with CHW Training Center(s)
- Develop lesson plans and trainings to teach both CHW and CHW Instructors
This course is approved by the Texas Department of State Health Services TX DSHS CHW Program #49
Texas State Department of State Health Services Core Competencies include:
- Capacity building
- Service coordination
- Knowledge based skills
No pre-requisites needed
These courses are designed to be completed using self-study, online, and face-to-face teaching modalities. Courses are currently being taught in English only.
- CHW - $850 (installment payment plan upon request – transaction fee will apply)
- CHWI - $925 (installment payment plan upon request – transaction fee will apply)