We enjoy working with students and appreciate the opportunity to expose students to the healthcare sector. Volunteering in a medical center is unlike any other volunteer opportunity. Because we are a health system offering many health services, our customers expect professional healing, nurturing, caring, maturity and privacy – challenges that at times can be difficult.
The Fall and Spring semester is dedicated to our College Volunteer Program. Responsibilities vary. Enrollment is limited to 30 volunteers per semester.
College Volunteer Requirements
The program is open to sophomores, juniors, seniors and post-graduates majoring in a medical profession (doctor, nurse, x-ray, laboratory, physical therapy, etc.) at an accredited college.
Minimum Hour Requirements
Shifts are typically four hours, and we will always work with school schedules.
Volunteers will need to complete at least 40 volunteer hours to receive certificate and recommendation.
Dress Code (no exceptions)
- Scrub top (Student is responsible for purchasing at a retail scrub store. Details will be shared at orientation.)
- Khaki pants (no jeans, no leggings, no capris)
- No perfume or scented lotions
- Close-toed shoes
- Clean hair kept away from face
College Volunteer Application Process
Applications for Spring Semester must be received by close of
November. Applications for Fall Semester must be received by close of
Mail a completed
college volunteer application form to:
Volunteer Services Office
Attn: Rhonda Luker
100 Hillcrest Medical Blvd.
Waco, Texas 76712
Include a paragraph (150 words or less) about why you want to volunteer at Hillcrest.
Note: Adult Volunteer Applications cannot be submitted by those who are currently enrolled in high school or college courses.
- Background check
- Drug screening (will be discussed with employee health nurse)
- TB test
- Hepatitis B series
- Tdap - one dose
- Varicella (chickenpox) - not required if you have documentation of having had chickenpox
- MMR - not required if you were born prior to 1957.
All volunteers are required to attend a one-hour orientation prior to service.