The purpose of this test is to evaluate the venous blood flow to the legs to determine if there is a deep vein thrombosis, which is the clotting of the blood in vein. Complications occur when a clot breaks away from the wall of the vein to which it is attached and travels through the blood stream.
What Will Happen During The Test?
The test will last about an hour. During the test, a technician will place a transducer on your legs with a small amount of ultrasound gel. The transducer sends sound waves through your leg to the veins and back, and then with the aid of computers, software and a monitor we are able to image your veins and display it on a monitor in front of you.
In conjunction with this imaging we will assess the blood flow with both pulsed Doppler and Color Flow Doppler, which measure the speed and direction of the blood flow. By assigning color to the direction of blood flow—called Color Flow Mapping—large areas of blood flow may be studied, which allows abnormal blood flow characteristics to be interpreted by the cardiologist.
What Is The Preparation For The Test?
- Please wear a two piece outfit.
- Please do not wear boots, jumpsuits, overalls, or a dress.
What Is The Preparation For The Rest Portion?
- Please do not eat or drink anything with caffeine in it for 4 hours before your resting test. Items with caffeine include: colas, coffee, tea, chocolate, and certain cold remedies.
- Do not eat anything 4 hours prior to the test.
- Please do not smoke or exercise 8 hours before testing.
- If you routinely take any medications take them as prescribed.
What Should I Bring With Me To The Venous Sonogram Appointment?
- Insurance card.
- Referral for the stress test if required by your insurance company.
Where Will The Test Be Performed?
The test will be performed at:
BSW Legacy Heart Center
6601 Preston Road
Plano, Texas 75024
It is very important that you keep your appointment once it is scheduled. If you must cancel your appointment, please give the office at least 24 hours notice by calling 469.800.6300. Our testing schedule requires tight time restrictions, so please notify the office immediately if you will be late for your appointment. We appreciate your complete cooperation.
Who Will Give Me The Results?
After a review of the test, your medical history, other imaging modalities and previous tests by a BSW Legacy Heart Center cardiologist, a report will be sent to the ordering physician. The ordering physician will then review the results and discuss them with you.