At BSW Neuro-Oncology Associates, tumors of the brain, central nervous system and peripheral nervous system are treated with dedication, innovation and quality care.
Preparing for Your Visit
We offer a comprehensive evaluation during your first visit which may take up to an hour. We suggest that you have all forms from our Patient Forms section completed before your scheduled appointment.
The doctors here prefer to conduct a thorough physical exam on every patient, and there will most likely be a great amount of information to be discussed. We recommend that our patients be well prepared for their appointment in advance. Here is some information to help you get ready for your appointment as well as what you can expect from your doctor.
Things to Know
- Be aware of any pre-appointment restrictions. At the time you make the appointment, be sure to ask if there's anything you need to do in advance, such as restrict your diet.
- Write down any symptoms you're experiencing, including any that may seem unrelated to the reason for which you scheduled the appointment.
- Write down key personal information, including any major stresses or recent life changes.
- Bring all your medications with you, as well as any vitamins or supplements, that you're taking.
- Take a family member or friend along. Sometimes it can be difficult to absorb all the information provided during an appointment. Someone who accompanies you may remember something that you missed or forgot.
- Write down questions to ask your doctor.
On your first visit, we will begin a permanent record. Please bring any medications you are taking so that we may accurately determine the dosage and frequency. We will ask you to complete a medical history and registration form. Please bring your insurance card and try to arrive at least 30 minutes early for your first visit. If you have been under the care of another doctor, we may ask your permission to transfer some of your records.
We have three appointment categories that take up varying amounts of time:
- New patient visits—Plan on spending one hour and 30 minutes, including check-in time, filling out forms and the actual physician visit
- Follow-up exam—30 to 45 minutes, depending on symptoms
- Chemotherapy education visit—We allow ample time for our patients and their families to fully understand the chemotherapy process, so please plan on spending one hour and 45 minutes for this appointment
- Sick visits—Varies depending on symptoms you are experiencing at the time
Canceling an Appointment
We will call to remind you of your appointment one day prior to your visit. If you at any time decide that you are unable to keep your appointment or you are going to be late, please call our office as soon as possible. This courtesy allows us to be of service to other patients.