Don't let foot and ankle pain keep you down. The experienced staff with the Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Services at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Plano can help you get back on your feet again. Every day, our advanced, minimally invasive treatment options help patients return to an active and pain-free lifestyle.
Our foot and ankle specialists offer:
- Specialty training. Foot and ankle specialists on the Baylor Scott & White – Plano medical staff are board certified, fellowship trained orthopedic surgeons, who are experts in the evaluation and treatment of foot and ankle injuries and disorders. If back or knee problems are causing your foot or ankle pain, we treat the source of the problem.
- Individualized treatment. Our specialists understand each individual is different, and we will tailor a treatment plan that is best for you. Many foot and ankle problems can be treated conservatively. Others require surgery. From professional athletes with sports injuries to individuals with everyday foot and ankle pain, our goal is to get you back to your desired level of activity without pain.
- Comprehensive care. The foot and ankle specialists on our medical staff will work closely with a team of physicians and health professionals, including vascular surgeons, endocrinologists, and rheumatologists, to optimize your care. If surgical treatment is needed, our foot and ankle specialists are trained in advanced techniques, including minimally invasive surgery.
Foot & Ankle Injuries/Disorders Treated
- Achilles tendon rupture, if overstretched (typically in sports), the tendon connecting your heel bone to the back of your calf can tear
- All foot and ankle deformities, including low and high arches
- Ankle instability
- Ankle osteoarthritis
- Arthritis of the foot and ankle
- Bone spurs
- Cartilage injury, caused by wear and tear, this type of injury can lead to osteoarthritis
- Charcot-Marie Tooth disease
- Claw and hammer toes
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Diabetic ulcers
- Foot pain associated with flat feet, heel pain, and tarsal coalition
- Great toe pain
- Heel pain
- Heel spurs
- Joint disease
- Ligament tears, where the ligament that connects the bones in the foot tears
- Neurologic diseases effecting the foot and ankle including strokes and foot drop
- Peroneal injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
- Residual compartments syndromes
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sports injuries
- Stress fractures
- Turf toe, a sprain of the metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joint of the first toe
Baylor Scott & White – Plano offers advanced diagnostic imaging and lab services to evaluate your foot and ankle pain. These include:
- Traditional X-Ray
- Bone scan
- EMG and nerve condition studies
- Blood work
Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Services at Baylor Scott & White – Plano doesn’t provide a one-size-fits-all approach to foot and ankle treatment. Our individualized approach to care means you’re getting the right treatment for your situation. Depending on your age, your injury and your lifestyle, our options include:
Custom orthotics – No more molds or casts. The Baylor Scott & White – Plano Comprehensive Foot and Ankle Program’s advanced technology uses a digital pressure mat to analyze and create orthotics which are made specifically to each patient’s foot/ankle, helping ensure the best orthotic for each individual patient.
Other Conservative treatments
- Full spectrum of medical devises, including boots, casts, splints or braces to treat the area of pain.
- Prescription medication
- Joint and ligament injections to reduce inflammation and pain
- Physical therapy: Trained physical therapists work closely with each patient to address the problematic area and help patients regain function.
- The physical therapy department uses advanced equipment, including ultrasound, electrostimulation, and iontophoresis to help reduce inflammation.
- Aqua therapy is also available to reduce stress on the ankle, while still mobilizing the effected region.
- Wearing the appropriate shoes is very important, and this will vary depending on each individual's foot type. The physicians on our medical staff can provide recommendations on proper shoes.
The foot and ankle specialists on the Baylor Scott & White – Plano medical staff are trained in the full spectrum of foot and ankle surgery, including:
- Ankle arthroscopy: a minimally invasive scope procedure to evaluate and treat a variety of conditions
- Correction and salvage of previously failed surgeries
- Diabetic limb salvage
- Flat foot and high arch surgery
- Fracture and dislocation repair
- Osteotomy: a bone realignment procedure to correct bunions, claw and hammer toes
- Osteoarthritic and rheumatoid reconstructions
- Reconstructions for complex deformities associated with residual compartments syndromes, Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, Rheumatoid arthritis, Strokes and other Neurologic diseases.
- Tendon repair or reconstruction: a procedure to suture or lengthen tendons damaged in peroneal injuries and Achilles tendon ruptures
- Ligament, tendon and cartilage surgery
- Capsulorrhaphy: the suture of a torn joint capsule (damaged cartilage)
- OATS, or osteoarticular transplants: transplanting of cartilage to improve deficits from injury or arthritis
- Debridement: removal of damaged or infected tissue to treat heel spurs, Achilles tendinitis, arthritis and diabetic ulcers
- Arthrodesis: an ankle fusion procedure used for arthritis patients that removes damaged cartilage and fuses two bones together
- Ankle arthroplasty: total ankle joint replacement
- Bone fracture repair
- Joint realignment
- Minimally invasive surgery