If you suffer from chronic hip pain, you might find yourself struggling to walk upstairs or even put on your shoes. Baylor Scott & White Medical Center– Sunnyvale provides a number of options to help you get the hip pain relief you deserve.
As you talk to an orthopedist, you can better understand your hip pain, and develop a treatment plan based on your condition, preferences and preferred outcome.
Some common causes of hip pain include:
- Labral tear
- Lumbar conditions – herniated discs, sciatica, etc.
- Muscle strain or sprain
Benefits of Hip Replacement Surgery
The orthopedic surgeon on the medical staff will evaluate the level of pain and the impact on your activities that you have been experiencing with your hip pain. Your physician will take x-rays and run blood tests to determine the level of joint degeneration.
You may be a good candidate for a hip replacement if you:
- Are unable to walk properly
- Have trouble standing in the kitchen to prepare a meal
- Have interrupted sleep because of the pain
- Have not been helped with non-surgical treatment
- Have become dependent on a cane or walker
- Unable to bend the joint properly
If you are experiencing swelling, redness, heat in the area, signs of infection, or extreme pain, you may be suffering from a different hip condition and you should seek medical help immediately.