Lend your hand and share your heart
We know that you have many choices where you can spend your free time. We are very excited that you have an interest in becoming a volunteer with Scott & White.
Volunteers expand their horizons and develop camaraderie with those who share their interest in helping others. As a volunteer, you provide a valuable service to your community and you have a chance to meet many interesting people. Scott & White volunteers make a positive impact on people’s lives and are a vital part of the organization.
As a member of the Scott & White team, volunteers give themselves a gift, too. Studies show that people who help others are healthier, happier people. Even if you have only four hours to spare each week, volunteering can bring you added job skills, school credit or that feeling you get from donating your time to helping others.
How to Become a Volunteer
Volunteers over the age of 18 may apply. Our volunteers come from all walks of life and bring a myriad of abilities with them. Our volunteers include professionals, homemakers, former patients, military personnel, retirees and college students.
Volunteer opportunities fit individual time schedules, abilities, interests, and skills. Some volunteers work directly with patients, while others provide invaluable assistance in support areas or with special projects.
Complete a volunteer application form
- Participate in a personal interview with Volunteer Services
- Take a free two-step TB skin test
- Complete a drug screening
- Attend an orientation
- Receive training for assigned area of service
- Commit to the minimum number of service hours required
- Adult volunteers — A minimum of four hours each week for six months
- College student volunteers — A minimum of four hours each week for one semester
Volunteers of all ages and skills are needed. There are a variety of volunteer roles to fit individual time schedules, abilities and interests. Some of our volunteers work directly with patients, while others provide invaluable assistance in support areas or with special projects.
Available opportunities in the Temple area may include:
- Cancer Treatment Center
- Day surgery
- Information desks
- Intensive care waiting rooms
- Making heart-shaped pillows for heart surgery patients or blankets/quilts for dialysis and cancer patients
- Mended Hearts
- Newspaper and mail delivery to inpatients
- Roney Bone and Joint Institute
- Radiology, ultrasound
- Radiology, diagnostic
- Sunshine Gift Shop and inventory maintenance
- Surgical waiting room
Patient and Family Advisers
Have you or your family members received care at Scott & White within the last five years? did you think there were things we could have done better? Do you have ideas about how to make sure others get the best care possible?
You may have an additional opportunity to volunteer by becoming a patient and family adviser.