To raise awareness throughout the state of Texas of the critical need for life-saving donations of blood, marrow, organ, and tissues. Each of the team rider’s lives have been touched by donation in a very special way. Each day, the riders honor local individuals that have made a contribution to the field of donation by being a donor, recipient or educating their fellow Texans about donation.
September 30 through October 7, 2017
- September 30 - Welcome kick-off event in
San Antonio, then ride to Gonzales
- October 1 - Gonzales to Brookshire
- October 2 - Brookshire to
- October 3 - Houston to
- October 4 - College Station to Palestine
- October 5 - Palestine to
- October 6 - Longview to
- October 7 - The Colony to
Waco for the
Note: Bolded city or town denotes where the event will take place
Eleven riders will bicycle over 650 miles and stop in each of six Texas cities. Each day, the participants will ride in honor of a local Texan who is in need of a transplant or is a transplant donor.
- 1 in 3 people will need a blood transfusion in their lifetime.
- Every 90 seconds someone in our community needs blood.
- One out of every 20 Texans will need blood at some point of their lives.
- Each year 20 million blood components are transfused
- Over 30,000 new patients are diagnosed each year with a life-threatening disease that may be cured with a marrow transplant
- There are over 750 patients in Texas searching the registry for a matched donor (Texas ranks #2 in the nation for patients searching for a match)
- Each day, an average of 20 people dies while waiting for an organ.
- There are currently more than 120,000 men, women and children are awaiting a life-saving organ transplant... 12,000 of whom are Texans!
- Over 1 million tissue transplants are performed each year. One tissue donor might save or heal 75 or more people