What Is a Trauma Center?
A trauma center is a specialized hospital distinguished by the immediate availability of personnel, equipment and services to treat the most severe and critical injuries. Trauma is defined as any injury to the body, and is often referred to as the neglected disease of the 21st century. Main causes of trauma are falls, motor vehicle accidents, assaults and shootings.
Level I Trauma Centers
Baylor University Medical Center, part of Baylor Scott & White Health and Scott & White Medical Center – Temple provide comprehensive trauma services at our Level I Trauma Centers. These centers directly receive trauma patients, as well as patients transferred from other Baylor Scott & White Health hospitals and healthcare facilities throughout our regions
A Level I Trauma Center is a facility that:
- Is a regional resource hospital that is central to a trauma care system
- Provides total care for every aspect of injury, from prevention through rehabilitation
- Maintains resources and personnel for patient care, education and research (usually in a university-based teaching hospital)
- Provides leadership in education, research and system planning to all hospitals caring for injured patients in the region.
- Learn more about injury prevention:
- Back safety/Spinal cord injury prevention
- Heat stress
Internal partner violence
Traumatic brain injury
Our trauma centers are successful because of the expertise of everyone involved. We use the services of many specialties, including orthopedics, general surgery, rehabilitation, plastic surgery and more. These specialists are available 24/7 to provide care to the hundreds of trauma patients who come through ours doors. In addition, they are supported by a staff of nurses, therapists, social workers and injury prevention specialists.
Additional Trauma Facilities
In addition to our Level I Trauma Centers, several Baylor Scott & White hospitals are designated as Level II, Level III or Level IV trauma facilities.
Level II (Major) Trauma Facility
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Grapevine
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Hillcrest
- McLane Children's Scott & White Hospital – Temple
Level III (Advanced) Trauma Facility
- Baylor Scott & White All Saints Medical Center – Fort Worth
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – College Station
Level IV (Basic) Trauma Facility
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Brenham
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Lake Pointe
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Llano
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Round Rock
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Taylor