Baylor Scott & White Research Institute
Baylor Scott & White Research Institute is the research and development arm of the largest not-for-profit health care system in Texas, established in 2016 by the integration of Baylor Research Institute and Scott & White Research.
Baylor Scott & White Research Institute staffs approximately 600 employees in more than 243,000 square feet of research space. Award-winning scientists and medical professionals conduct more than 2,000 active research protocols, spanning more than 58 medical specialties.
Our research is frequently published in major scientific journals and reported at medical and scientific meetings, generating issued and pending patents in immunotherapy, genomics, biomarkers, metabolomics, metabolic, cardiovascular disease and medical devices.
Because the system serves more than 800,000 people at medical centers in Dallas, Fort Worth, Garland, Grapevine, Irving, Plano, Waxahachie, Denton, Carrollton, Waco, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Brenham, College Station, Llano, Marble Falls, Taylor and Temple, we have a large and diverse pool of potential research participants.
For more information on research near you, select your region.
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex (North Texas) Locations
Temple/Killeen/Waco, Austin/Round Rock, Brazos Valley, Hill Country (Central Texas) Locations
Areas of Research
From Moving Better to Recovering Faster, Here's What We're Studying
At Baylor Scott & White Research Institute, our research focuses on patients. This means our efforts are more than microscopic studies; they bring research to the patient's bedside. Pioneering and innovation in research within numerous medical specialties are unique characteristics that Baylor Scott & White Research Institute brings to our communities.
We offer patients the opportunity to participate in clinical trials across a wide range of medical specialties, including:
- Applied Health Research
- Asthma and Pulmonary Disease
- Bone and Joint
- Breast Imaging – Tomosynthesis
- Cell Death and Differentiation
- Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Digestive Diseases
- Family Medicine
- Health Care
- Health Concerns for Military Veterans and Emergency Responders
- Heart and Vascular Disease
- Hyperbaric Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Metabolic Disease
- Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy
- Vaccines and Infections
- Weight Management
- Women's Health
Through clinical research, investigators achieve advances in medicine and bring potential innovative therapies to patients at Baylor Scott & White Health facilities. Many of those clinical research studies conducted at Baylor Scott & White Research Institute have received national and international media attention, including the following research topics:
hepatitis C treatment,
instant noodles' health impact and
new devices in the NICU.
Baylor Scott & White Health recruits leading physicians and scientists to enhance its scientific base and provide advanced patient therapies. Research keeps physicians on the forefront of medical knowledge, and investigators at Baylor Scott & White Research Institute publish research findings in top-tier medical journals, such as
Cell, Science, The New England Journal of Medicine and
Transplantation. Baylor Scott & White Health also publishes
Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings, a quarterly journal detailing research and clinical activities at Baylor Scott & White.
Michael A.E. Ramsay, MD, serves as president of the Baylor Scott & White Research Institute.
Learn more about clinical research by following the Baylor Scott & White Health blog,
Scrubbing In, and its
The following medical centers, labs and facilities participate in research through Baylor Scott & White Research Institute:
- Baylor Annette C. and Harold C. Simmons Transplant Institute
- Baylor AT&T Memory Center
- Baylor Charles A. Sammons Cancer Centers Network
- Baylor Endocrine Center
- Baylor George Truett James Orthopaedics Institute
- Baylor Heart and Vascular Institute
- Baylor Institute for Immunology Research
- Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation
- Baylor Martha Foster Lung Care Center
- Baylor Scoliosis Center
- Baylor Scott & White All Saints Medical Center – Fort Worth
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Garland
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Grapevine
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Irving
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Plano
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – McKinney
- Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas
- Baylor Visual Function Center at Dallas
- GI Cancer Research Laboratory
- Institute for Health Care Research and Improvement
- Islet Cell Laboratory
- Kimberly H. Courtwright and Joseph W. Summers Institute of Metabolic Disease
- Legacy Heart
- Soltero Cardiovascular Research Center
- The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano
- The Heart Hospital Baylor Denton
Baylor Scott & White Research Institute employs more than 600 employees, including scientists, laboratory assistants, research nurses, clinical research assistants and research coordinators. More than half of the research nurses and coordinators are Certified Clinical Research Coordinators. The research staff assists Baylor Scott & White Health investigators with coordinating and managing administrative and clinical aspects of investigational drug, device and other research trials and studies. The research staff has experience managing Phase I through Phase IV clinical trials and is thoroughly educated in federal regulations and institutional policies.
Baylor Scott & White Research Institute received full accreditation from the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Programs (AAHRPP) in December of 2003 and received reaccreditation in 2015. The Office of Research Subject Protection at Baylor Scott & White Research Institute has responsibility for the three Institutional Review Boards (IRBs), two of which meet monthly and the third of which manages expedited and exempt studies.