Skip to main content Skip to footer
Show/Hide Mobile Menu

The largest not-for-profit health care system in Texas, and one of the largest in the United States, Baylor Scott & White Health was born from the 2013 combination of Baylor Health Care System and Scott & White Healthcare. Today, we're looking toward the future of health care for everyone—a future we're building together.

Known for exceptional patient care for more than a century, the two organizations serve adjacent regions of Texas and operate on a foundation of complementary values and similar missions. Baylor Scott & White Health includes 48 hospitals, more than 900 patient care sites, more than 6,000 active physicians, 40,000+ employees and the Scott & White Health Plan.

Over 100 Years and Still Going

Learn how Baylor Scott & White Health has evolved over the last century.

  1. 1897

    Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr. and Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr. enter into full partnership and their reputation grows rapidly. They are soon approached by the What-So-Ever Circle, the Temple Chapter of the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons, a benevolent society, to work in association with its new hospital called King's Daughters Hospital. Doctors Scott and White work with King's Daughters until 1904.

  2. 1903

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas is established as Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitarium. Chartered on Oct. 16, 1903, by the State of Texas, the hospital began in a 14-room renovated house.

    Baylor is founded through the efforts of several individuals. Initial efforts began in 1900 with Charles M. Rosser, MD, a medical leader in Dallas who saw the need for "a hospital of great importance" for a growing city like Dallas and which would support the University of Dallas Medical Department, later Baylor College of Medicine. Secondly, Rev. George W. Truett, pastor of First Baptist Church of Dallas, convinces Dallas citizens "to build a great humanitarian hospital." Thirdly, Colonel C.C. Slaughter, a devout Baptist and wealthy cattleman, gives a major gift of $50,000 to establish the hospital.

    The Baptist General Convention of Texas agrees to help support and administer the hospital, as well as raise funds for a new hospital building.

    1904

    Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr. and Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr. open their own hospital, Temple Sanitarium, in Temple. Later in the year, they purchase and convert the abandoned St. Mary's Catholic Convent for use as a permanent hospital. This structure becomes the nucleus of a facility that consists of 31 buildings scattered over five city blocks.

    The first six nurses graduate from the Sanitarium Training School for Nurses. The school operates for 66 years and graduates 1,207 nurses.

    1905

    Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr., Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr., and Business Manager Fred K. Stroop apply for a corporate charter for Temple Sanitarium "for the study, prevention, relief, remedy and care of any and all human disorders and diseases."

    1906

    Dr. Claudia Potter is hired at Temple Sanitarium, becoming the first female anesthesiologist in the United States.

    Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr., begins to experiment with his daughter’s wood burning set in preparation of using electric cautery in surgery. In 1908, he becomes the first to use electric cautery in surgery. In 1926, he speaks before the American Medical Association in Dallas on the use of the thermal cautery in excising cancer.

    A small group of civic-minded women and the Fort Worth Episcopal Church open All Saints Episcopal Hospital with 24 beds and an affiliated nursing school.

    1908

    Dr. Claudia Potter directs the first use of gas anesthesia in Texas. Only three other physicians in the country had used it at that time.

    1909

    Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitarium moves into a new 250-bed facility and opens as the Southwest's most modern hospital of its kind.

    Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitarium nursing program (Baylor University School of Nursing) begins. Nursing students provide primary care for patients during their 12-hour shifts and attend classes during non-work hours. The nurses are housed in the original 14-room Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitarium.

  3. 1916

    Central Texas Baptist Sanitarium of Waco receives its charter. The need for this hospital is traced back to the vision of Arthur James Barton, pastor of Waco's First Baptist Church, in 1909.

    1917

    Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr. dies of a heart attack. The partnership changes to consist of Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr., his brother-in-law Dr. Marcel W. Sherwood and Dr. George V. Brindley, Sr.

    1918

    The Nurses Home and Training School facility opens on the hospital campus, which is made possible by a generous donation from Col. C.C. Slaughter. It is his last gift to Baylor before his death in 1919. His gifts to Baylor are estimated to be more than $200,000.

    June 4, 1919 - Women earn the right to vote in the United States

  4. 1920

    Central Texas Baptist Sanitarium officially opens its 65-bed facility. The facility actually receives and treats its first patient the day before opening, when Mable Battle Westbrook is rushed in for an emergency appendectomy. The operation is a success, and already the Sanitarium begins to prove its value in responsive care for patients.

    The American Medical Association approves the Sanitarium for intern training.

    1921

    Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitarium becomes Baylor Hospital to reflect its relationship with Baylor University in Waco, Texas. The hospital, located in downtown Dallas, is surrounded by the Baylor College of Medicine, Baylor College of Dentistry, Baylor University School of Nursing and Baylor School of Pharmacy.

    1922

    The name of Temple Sanitarium changes to Scott & White Memorial Hospital.

    1928

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital begins training resident physicians.

    1929

    The "Baylor Plan" is developed by Baylor administrators during the Great Depression to help area citizens afford hospital care. It is the first prepaid hospital insurance plan in the United States and predecessor of Blue Cross.

    October 29, 1929 – The stock market crashes and signals the beginning of the 12-year Great Depression which did not end until the U.S. entered World War II.

  5. October 1, 1932 - Babe Ruth makes his famous called shot in the fifth inning of Game 3 of the 1932 World Series.

    1933

    The American College of Surgeons approves Scott & White Memorial Hospital as the first cancer diagnostic and treatment center in Texas.

    1936

    Baylor Hospital is renamed Baylor University Hospital.

    1937

    Florence Nightingale Maternity Hospital opens on the Baylor University Hospital campus.

    1938

    Central Texas Baptist Sanitarium begins receiving memorial gifts, prompting the name to be changed to Hillcrest Memorial Hospital.

    1939

    Dr. Ruth Jackson becomes the first female orthopedic surgeon to join the medical staff at Baylor University Hospital in Dallas.

  6. 1940

    Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr. dies of a heart attack. His son, Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Jr., assumes his position as President of Scott & White Memorial Hospital.

    December 11, 1941 - World War II: Germany and Italy have announced they are at war with the United States. America immediately responded by declaring war on the two Axis powers.

    1943

    Because of financial difficulties, Baylor College of Medicine accepts a grant from a foundation and relocates to Houston.

    Lawrence Payne becomes administrator of Baylor University Hospital. He realizes that in order to survive the tough economic period since the Depression and relocation of the Baylor College of Medicine from the Dallas campus during WWII, the hospital must build new facilities to attract private patients in addition to charity patients as the association with the medical school dictated.

    1944

    Boone Powell, Sr., joins Baylor University Hospital as business manager.

    1945

    Hillcrest Memorial Hospital becomes affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas.

    1946

    To advance the quality of the hospital, further the cause of medical research, and supervise the teaching program for residents and interns, Baylor University Hospital appoints its first chiefs of service for the hospital's medical departments and the 13 chiefs appointed also serve as Baylor's first medical board.

    Many of these physicians are professors at Baylor College of Medicine and choose not to move but stay in Dallas at Baylor University Hospital.

    1947

    Baylor University Hospital initiates the formation of the American Association of Blood Banks.

    1948

    Boone Powell, Sr., becomes administrator of Baylor University Hospital when Lawrence Payne assumes responsibility for fundraising and planning for a new hospital. During Powell's almost 30-year career as CEO of Baylor, he is recognized as one of the health care industry's most outstanding leaders.

    1949

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital is reorganized into the non-profit Scott & White Memorial Hospital and the for-profit Scott & White Clinic. The name would change again the following year to the Scott & White Memorial Hospital and Scott, Sherwood and Brindley Foundation.

  7. 1950

    The seven-story, 436-bed George W. Truett Memorial Hospital opens on the Baylor University Hospital campus. This "hospital of tomorrow" features air conditioning and telephones in all patient rooms and makes Baylor University Hospital the fifth largest general hospital in the United States.

    1952

    Scott & White School of Nursing, accredited by the Texas Board of Nursing Examiners, is fully recognized by the National League for Nursing, the American accrediting association for nursing. It is one of only eight so accredited in Texas.

    Big Tex makes his first appearance at the State Fair, wearing size 70 boots and a 75-gallon hat.

    1954

    Baylor University Hospital receives its first cobalt machine to treat cancer patients. Technology for diagnosis and treatment of cancer was still in its infancy. Prior to receiving the cobalt machine, Baylor had only three small radiation therapy machines for both diagnosis and treatment.

    1958

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Hospital, Paul Ellis, MD, and Leroy Kleinsassor, MD, perform Baylor's first open heart surgery. A few months earlier in 1957, they were part of a team to perform Dallas' first open heart surgery.

    1959

    Baylor University Hospital is renamed Baylor University Medical Center to reflect the multiple hospitals and services on the Dallas campus.

    A new and expanded Women and Children's Hospital replaces Florence Nightingale Maternity Hospital.

    All Saints Episcopal Hospital opens a new nine-story, 365 bed hospital to meet the demand for health care. In the decades that follow, the hospital expands its services, establishing the Moncrief Cancer Center with a $2.5-million donation from Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Moncrief in honor of their sixty-first wedding anniversary. Later, the Moncrief Ambulatory Care Center opens and the Carter Rehabilitation and Fitness Center begins offering cardiac, pulmonary and orthopedic-related rehabilitation, along with a fitness center featuring an indoor heated pool, spa, track, aerobics room and resistance training equipment.

    Dr. J. Pat Evans becomes one of the first surgeons in the country to practice only sports medicine, before it is recognized as a subspecialty.

  8. 1960

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform the Southwest's first pacemaker implant.

    Orthopedic surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas begin a long partnership of providing care for the Dallas Cowboys.

    1961

    A gift from Charles A. Sammons and the Reserve Life Insurance Company funds the Sammons department of virology, the United States' first clinically oriented laboratory.

    1963

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital and Scott, Sherwood and Brindley Foundation move atop the hill in south Temple, once known as Killarney Heights. This remains the institution’s current location.

    Hillcrest Memorial Hospital becomes Hillcrest Baptist Hospital to signify its affiliation with the Baptist General Convention of Texas.

    August 28, 1963 – American civil rights activist Martin Luther King, Jr. delivers his “I Have a Dream” speech during the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, calling for an end to racism in the United States.

    1965

    Dr. Robert W. Jackson, Chief of Orthopedics at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, brings the important technique of arthroscopy to North America.

    1968

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform the medical center's first coronary bypass operation.

    Women's and Children's Hospital is renamed Karl and Esther Hoblitzelle Memorial Hospital.

    July 20, 1969 - Astronaut Neil Armstrong becomes the first human to step on the moon, uttering the historic words, “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”

  9. 1970

    The 200-bed Erik and Margaret Jonsson Medical and Surgical Hospital opens at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

    1972

    The 300-bed Carr P. Collins Hospital opens at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas. A. Webb Roberts Center for Continuing Education also opens at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

    1973

    Twin towers, named in honor of J.K. and Susie L. Wadley and Albert S. and Velma Barnett, open as part of the Baylor Medical Plaza which includes physician offices and a 75-room hotel, and is located at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

    1975

    David Hitt, who worked closely with Boone Powell, Sr. for more than 20 years, becomes the hospital's administrator with responsibility for the hospital's day-to-day operations. Boone Powell, Sr. concentrates on fundraising for additional growth.

    1976

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas installs the first computerized axial tomographic scanner (CAT scan) in North Texas.

    Baylor Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center opens at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

    July 4, 1976 – Marks the bicentennial anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence.

    1977

    H.L. and Ruth Ray Hunt Heart Center opens at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

    1978

    Baylor University Medical Center Foundation is created with an initial endowment of $5 million to support the activities of Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas. Boone Powell, Sr. is the founding president.

    The first Scott & White regional clinic opens in Moody, Texas. This begins changes and growth that lead to a new Department of Family Medicine that staffs 16 regional clinics serving 35 counties.

    1979

    David Hitt resigns and a search committee is formed to find a new CEO for Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

  10. 1980

    Boone Powell, Jr. becomes president and CEO of Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

    Orthopedic surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas begin providing comprehensive sports team care that would grow to include the Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, Dallas Wings, NFL spine injury protocol, Dallas Marathon runners, Mesquite Rodeo, and athletes at high schools and home school associations.

    1981

    Baylor Health Care System is formally established with Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas as its flagship hospital and corporate headquarters.

    Baylor Medical Center at Ennis becomes the first community medical center to join Baylor Health Care System.

    Baylor Medical Center at Grapevine joins Baylor Health Care System.

    1982

    Baylor Research Institute opens at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

    Hillcrest Baptist Hospital becomes Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, reflecting the hospital's comprehensive approach to health, education programs and preventive medicine.

    1983

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas becomes the first hospital in the Southwest to have a nuclear magnetic resonance scanner (MRI).

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform North Texas' first bone marrow transplant.

    Baylor Medical Center at Waxahachie joins Baylor Health Care System.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital merges with Santa Fe Memorial Hospital. The facility is renamed Scott & White Santa Fe Center, housing skilled nursing wards, a drug and alcohol rehabilitation program and an adult day care.

    1984

    Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation opens on the Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas campus.

    Trinity Medical Center in Carrollton (later Baylor Medical Center at Carrollton) commences its in-vitro fertilization (IVF) program and physicians supervise the first “test-tube” pregnancy in the area.

    1985

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform Texas' first successful adult-to-adult liver transplant.

    1986

    The 17-story A. Webb Roberts Hospital opens at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

    1987

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital installs the first magnetic resonance imager (MRI) in Central Texas, allowing doctors to detect and diagnose, quickly and painlessly, many diseases and brain and spinal cord disorders.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital becomes the first hospital in Texas and the second in the U.S. to purchase a $1.6 million lithotripter, a noninvasive device that crushes kidney stones with shock waves.

    Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center begins its primary care clinic network, opening clinics in Waco and Bellmead.

    June 12, 1987 – President Reagan challenges Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev to "Tear down this wall!" The Berlin Wall was torn down two years later in 1989.

    1988

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform Texas' first unrelated donor marrow transplant.

    Baylor Health Care System, Methodist Hospitals of Dallas and Presbyterian Health Care System sponsor CareFlite® helicopter ambulance service.

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform the first biliary lithotripsy for gallstones in the United States.

    Boone Powell, Sr. is one of 10 inductees into the first class of Modern Healthcare magazine's Health Care Hall of Fame.

    1989

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform Dallas' first lung transplant and three years later perform Dallas' first double lung transplant.

    Baylor Center for Restorative Care opens on the Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas campus.

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform North Texas' first heart/lung/heart "domino" procedure, in which a patient with terminal emphysema receives a single heart and two lungs, while another patient with cardiomyopathy receives the good heart from the patient with emphysema.

    Scott & White Diabetes Education Center opens as one of the first nationally certified diabetes education programs in Texas. The Center provides a variety of programs and services to help individuals and families learn to understand and live well with diabetes.

  11. 1990

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform the world's fifth combined heart/kidney transplant.

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform the nation's first bridge to heart transplant using the ABIOMED® assist device.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital purchases a CVX-300 excimer laser and begins participating in a clinical investigation of the laser. Scott & White is the only institution in Texas and one of 12 in the nation participating in the study. The laser disintegrates plaque blocking or restricting blood flow through the arteries to the heart.

    April 24, 1990 – The largest space telescope, the Hubble Space Telescope, is launched into orbit via the Space Shuttle Discovery.

    1991

    Baylor Tom Landry Fitness Center opens at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, offering the community a sports medicine facility that was, at the time, perhaps the only center of its kind in the world.

    Baylor Medical Center at Garland joins Baylor Health Care System.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital installs the first Ultra-Fast Imatron C-100 CT scanner in Texas for diagnosing and treating cardiovascular disease.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital becomes approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education to implement an Emergency Medicine Residency Program—the second hospital in the nation to do so.

    1992

    Richard E. Scott becomes President and Chief Executive Officer of Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center.

    1993

    U.S. News & World Report "America's Best Hospitals" guide recognizes Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas as one of the best hospitals in the nation — an honor the medical center again receives for 17 consecutive years.

    Baylor Pediatric Center for Restorative Care opens as an alternative treatment facility for children where services are provided in a relaxed, home-like setting.

    Baylor/Richardson Medical Center joins Baylor Health Care System.

    The first Baylor Senior Health Center opens in Dallas' Casa Linda neighborhood. By 2007, Baylor operates four senior health centers across the Metroplex.

    Hillcrest Heart Center opens, offering invasive cardiology services with a cardiac catheterization lab, surgery suite and advanced cardiovascular monitoring.

    1994

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform the Southwest's first small bowel transplant.

    Baylor University Medical Center Foundation is renamed Baylor Health Care System Foundation.

    Dr. Robert W. Jackson, Chief of Orthopedics at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, is recognized by Sports Illustrated for elevating sports medicine care to its highest level.

    Baylor Health Care System establishes HealthTexas Provider Network, a physician network provider organization, to assist the system in becoming an integrated health care delivery system.

    1995

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform the medical center's first kidney and pancreas transplant.

    Irving Healthcare System joins Baylor Health Care System and becomes Baylor Medical Center at Irving.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital is selected as the only site in Texas and one of two in the U.S. to study gene therapy of cancer by introducing a manufactured gene substance directly into cancer masses.

    1996

    Baylor Institute for Immunology Research is established at Baylor Research Institute.

    Texoma Healthcare System joins Baylor Health Care System; the relationship ends in 2007.

    Boone Powell, Sr. dies Sept. 15 at age 84.

    1997

    Baylor Pediatric Center for Restorative Care is renamed Our Children's House at Baylor.

    Baylor Health Care System board of trustees establishes autonomy on March 31 from the Baylor University board of regents in Waco, Texas. Baylor Health Care System agrees to continue its commitment to support the University's nursing and medical education programs.

    Surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform the world's first extracorporeal perfusion (bridge to transplantation) using a genetically engineered pig liver.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital observes the Centennial of the formation of the private practice partnership between Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr. and Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital and Scott & White Clinic are named one of the nation's 15 fully integrated health care systems (in Hospitals & Health Networks).

    1999

    Baylor Health Care System and United Surgical Partners International partner to form Texas Health Ventures Group, which develops and manages 20 outpatient surgery centers throughout North Texas.

    Michael Ramsay, MD, is named as president of Baylor Research Institute.

    The Zelig H. Lieberman Research Building, which houses Baylor Research Institute and Baylor Institute for Immunology Research, opens on the Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas campus. The building is named in honor of Zelig H. Lieberman, MD, a surgeon on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

    Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center formalizes as Hillcrest Health System.

  12. 2000

    Joel Allison is named president and CEO of Baylor Health Care System.

    Baylor Center for Restorative Care is renamed Baylor Specialty Hospital.

    Baylor Health Care System is the nation's first health care system to provide supplemental newborn screening for more than 30 inherited metabolic diseases.

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas and Children’s Medical Center transplant teams successfully perform North Texas' first split-liver procedure, in which the surgeon divides a donor liver into two lobes for a pediatric and adult recipient.

    Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center initiates the area’s first positron emission tomography (PET) imaging service.

    2001

    Boone Powell, Jr. retires.

    Neurology and neurosurgery are at the forefront with the opening of the Laura Leonard Hallum Neuroscience Center at Baylor University Medical Center. Today, the center offers expertise in spinal services, skull base surgery, stroke, neurosurgery and minimally invasive procedures, along with advanced technology such as deep brain stimulation for treatment of Parkinson's disease, essential tremor and dystonia.

    September 11, 2001 – Terrorists attack the United States. Four commercial airplanes are hijacked and crash into the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. United Airlines Flight 93 crashes into a wooded area in Pennsylvania after passengers confront hijackers.

    2002

    All Saints Health System joins Baylor Health Care System and becomes Baylor All Saints Medical Center at Fort Worth and Baylor Medical Center at Southwest Fort Worth.

    Baylor Jack and Jane Hamilton Heart and Vascular Hospital opens on the Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas campus.

    Frisco Medical Center4 (later Baylor Medical Center at Frisco) opens.

    Transplant surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor All Saints Medical Center at Fort Worth perform Tarrant County's first liver transplant.

    Scott & White is named a Top 25 Integrated Healthcare Network (IHN) by Verispan.

    2003

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas celebrates its 100-year anniversary.

    Baylor All Saints Medical Center at Fort Worth becomes the only hospital in the county to perform pancreas transplants.

    Baylor Health Care System and Richardson Hospital Authority end affiliation. Baylor/Richardson Medical Center becomes Richardson Regional Medical Center.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital and Scott & White Clinic are named a Top 25 Integrated Healthcare Network (IHN) by Verispan.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital is named among the 100 Top Hospitals in the National Benchmarks for Success study as a major teaching hospital.

    2004

    Baylor Health Care System forms ODC Therapy Inc., a cancer immunotherapy company.

    Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano opens.

    Baylor Health Care System launches a $149 million investment in redesigning its clinical processes and seamlessly linking the information throughout its health care network. The clinical transformation is enabled by technology to enhance quality of care and improve safety.

    Baylor Medical Center at Grapevine is renamed Baylor Regional Medical Center at Grapevine.

    Orthopedic surgeons at Scott & White Roney Bone and Joint Institute make significant research and design contributions to joint implants. They serve as an original designer of a triathlon knee system, planting the first one in May.

    2005

    Baylor Health Care System takes majority control of six Texas Health Ventures Group surgical hospitals around the Metroplex: Baylor Medical Center at Frisco, Baylor Medical Center at Trophy Club, Baylor Surgical Hospital at Fort Worth, Mary Shiels Hospital, Medical Center Surgical Hospital, and Irving Coppell Surgical Hospital.

    Baylor All Saints Medical Center at Fort Worth receives a $10 million gift to build a women's hospital, which is scheduled to open in 2008. The gift, given by Paula and Judy Andrews, Jr., is the largest single health care gift in Tarrant County and Baylor Health Care System Foundation's largest gift to date.

    Physicians on the medical staff at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas perform North Texas' first islet cell transplant and Texas' first successful intestinal transplant.

    The Nicholas and Louella Martin Center for Chronic Pain Management at Fort Worth opens, offering patients and their families an interdisciplinary resource to turn to for coping with chronic pain.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital receives the Consumer Choice Award from the National Research Council.

    2006

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas and Baylor Regional Medical Center at Grapevine begin expanding their emergency departments. Baylor Dallas' $53 million expansion is completed in January 2008. Baylor Grapevine's $9.2 million expansion is completed in October 2007.

    Baylor Research Institute expands to Baylor All Saints Medical Center at Fort Worth.

    Baylor Research Institute receives a $6.2 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to develop the Center for Lupus Research and $2.9 million from the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases and Alliance for Lupus Research to expand research of the disease.

    Researchers at Baylor Institute for Immunology Research report on the successful treatment of children with systemic onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis. The findings, published in The Journal of Experimental Medicine, are highly significant for juvenile arthritis patients for whom previous therapies have failed.

    Scott & White Memorial Hospital partners in the state’s first Health and Bioscience District with the District and Temple College. This is part of a unique effort to train high school and college students in the fields of health and science through the Texas Bioscience Institute.

    2007

    The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano opens.

    Baylor Medical Center at Frisco completes a nearly $62 million expansion project, adding a women's center, new operating rooms, treatment rooms for pain management and gastrointestinal procedures, pre-operative beds, post-operative/recovery beds and an expanded emergency department.

    James Walton, DO, chief health equity officer of Baylor Health Care System, is selected to participate in the Disparities Leadership Program designed to tackle racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Dr. Walton is one of only 28 individuals from 14 health care organizations from around the United States to be selected.

    Baylor Jack and Jane Hamilton Heart and Vascular Hospital receives the Magnet® Award for "Excellence in Nursing Services" from the American Nurses Credentialing Center.

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas is the first hospital in the United States to receive the Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission for its Ventricular Assist Device program.

    2008

    The 92-bed Paul and Judy Andrews Women’s Hospital opens at Baylor All Saints Medical Center, offering comprehensive specialty services such as reproductive medicine, gynecological surgery, pelvic medicine, obstetrical services, a level III intensive care unit for premature and low-birth weight infants.

    2009

    Trinity Medical Center joins Baylor Health Care System and becomes Baylor Medical Center at Carrollton.

    Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center opens its new hospital campus in Waco, including the region’s only dedicated Women’s & Children’s Center and two new medical office buildings. The facility becomes part of the Scott & White Healthcare system, the largest multispecialty group practice in Texas.

    The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano receives the Baylor Health Care System “Lab of the Year” award, voted on and presented by senior leadership. This is the first time for the health care system to present this award.

    May 29, 2009 – Cowboys Stadium replaces the open-air Texas Stadium as the Dallas Cowboys’ new home. The stadium costs $1.3 billion to build, seats up to 111,000 people and holds the world’s largest TV.

  13. 2010

    Baylor Health Care System and the City of Dallas join forces to open the Diabetes Health and Wellness Institute (DHWI), bringing a new model of health care to South Dallas, the community with the highest rates of diabetes in the city.

    Baylor Orthopedic and Spine Hospital of Arlington opens as the first and only orthopedic surgery and specialty hospital of its kind in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

    Baylor Regional Transplant Institute is renamed Baylor Annette C. and Harold C. Simmons Transplant Institute after a $20 million gift from the Dallas philanthropists.

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas performs North Texas’ first paired kidney donor transplant.

    Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center joins Scott & White Healthcare to open a new, advanced 237-bed acute care facility in Waco.

    2011

    The new Baylor Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center at Dallas opens its doors. This outpatient cancer center is the largest in North Texas and is LEED certified by the U.S. Green Building Council.

    Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation and a subsidiary of Select Medical Corporation form a joint venture to provide an expanded network of inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation care across the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

    McLane Children’s Hospital opens in Temple and is the only children’s hospital between Dallas-Fort Worth and Austin with a pediatric trauma center.

    The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano celebrates two robotic technology firsts: Becoming the first cardiovascular specialty hospital in North Texas to specialize in robotic-assisted cardiovascular and thoracic procedures, and the first in the world to implement the new Epoch™ platform for electrophysiology procedures.

    The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano receives The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for its advanced Heart Failure program—one of two hospitals in DFW to earn this distinguished award.

    May 2, 2011 – Osama bin Laden, Al Qaeda leader and mastermind of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the U.S., is killed by U.S. Special Forces in Pakistan.

    2012

    Baylor Health Care System forms a joint venture with Emerus to bring eight freestanding emergency hospitals to North Texas by 2014.

    Baylor Medical Center at McKinney opens.

    Baylor T. Boone Pickens Cancer hospital opens as part of Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas. It is the first dedicated cancer hospital in North Texas, named in honor of a $10 million gift from the legendary oil and gas entrepreneur and philanthropist.

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas is named the Consumer Choice Award for Best Overall Quality and Best Image/Reputation from the National Research Corporation for the 17th consecutive year.

    Hip preservation services become part of Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas’ orthopedic care and are among the first of their kind to be offered to area residents.

    2013

    The Center for Advanced Cardiovascular Care at McKinney opens on the Baylor Medical Center at McKinney campus.

    Baylor Health Care System and Scott & White Healthcare join forces and create a new health system, Baylor Scott & White Health, and become the largest not-for-profit health care system in the state of Texas.

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas performs first totally artificial heart transplant.

    Baylor Regional Medical Center at Grapevine becomes the first hospital in Texas to earn Atrial Fibrillation accreditation by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.

    The American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) announces that Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas earns its third consecutive Magnet® designation, its highest level of formal recognition for nursing excellence, which only one percent of Magnet hospitals have maintained for three consecutive terms.

    2014

    Baylor Scott & White Health becomes one of nine Texas health systems joining forces as the Texas Care Alliance to share clinical and administrative data to improve quality and efficiency, lower health care costs and accelerate medical innovation in patient care.

    Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center becomes Baylor Scott & White Hillcrest Medical Center and is the first hospital to carry the new organization's name. The facility became Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Hillcrest a short time later.

    Baylor All Saints Medical Center at Fort Worth performs 1,000th kidney transplant, a living-donor transplant between brothers.

    The Heart Hospital Baylor Denton opens.

    Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Waxahachie opens. It replaces Baylor Medical Center at Waxahachie, featuring a dedicated cancer center and expanded women’s health services, including labor and delivery.

    September 30, 2014 – Thomas Eric Duncan is disclosed by the CDC as the first case of the Ebola virus in the U.S. after he travels from Liberia to Texas.

    2015

    Baylor Medical Center at Irving becomes Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Irving. Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano becomes Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Plano.

    Canine Companions for Independence® at Baylor Scott & White Health – Kinkeade Campus opens as the first assistance dog training center campus in the nation connected to a health care system.

    Baylor Research Institute becomes the first in the U.S. and second in the world to conduct a Dendritic Cell vaccine trial, along with standard chemotherapy, for breast cancer patients in the curative setting.

    #HeartTXLive is the first heart transplant covered live on social media channels by Baylor Scott & White Health. The surgery takes place at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas. The transplant program becomes one of the nation’s top five in volume, both in heart transplants and living donor liver transplants. Surgeons on the medical staff also perform 12 transplants in a 24-hour timeframe, one of only two programs in the country to do so.

    Baylor Scott & White All Saints Medical Center – Fort Worth installs a revolutionary, ultra-fast CT imaging system for the heart, brain and bones, and whole-organ diagnosis for oncology patients.

    2016

    Joel Allison retires from his role as president and CEO of Baylor Scott & White Health after 16 years of service. James H. Hinton is named president and CEO of Baylor Scott & White Health.

    Baylor Scott & White Health and Tenet Healthcare Corporation join forces to provide care for five North Texas hospitals: Centennial Medical Center, Doctors Hospital at White Rock Lake, Lake Pointe Medical Center, Texas Regional Medical Center at Sunnyvale and Baylor Medical Center at Garland.

    Six facilities are renamed to reflect the new Baylor Scott & White Health system.

    The Dallas Cowboys and Baylor Scott & White Health unveil plans to break ground on a game-changing sports medicine, research and performance facility that will be located at The Star in Frisco, home of the new Dallas Cowboys World Corporate Headquarters. Baylor Scott & White Health, the Dallas Cowboys and Frisco ISD team up to provide a brain injury program that includes a concussion assessment and management program.

    Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas conducts a research trial in which it performs the first four living-donor uterine transplants ever done in the U.S.

    All nine Baylor Charles A. Sammons Cancer Centers are now fully accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.

    November 2, 2016 – The Chicago Cubs win the World Series, ending their 71-year National League pennant drought, their 108-year World Series championship drought and the Curse of the Billy Goat.

    2017

    James H. Hinton arrives at Baylor Scott & White Health to begin his leadership role as president and CEO.

    The first CAR-T immunotherapy clinical trial for pancreatic cancer in the world is implemented at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

    The Paul and Judy Andrews Women’s Hospital delivers its 50,000 baby since opening in 2008.

    The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano performs the first robotic-assisted angioplasty in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Serving all people by providing personalized health and wellness through exemplary care, education and research.


Learn more about our mission, vision and values »

Scroll To Top