Pregnancy and parenting support to first-time mothers in Waco
Nurse-Family Partnership is a free community healthcare program that provides pregnancy and parenting support to first-time mothers from nurses who visit their homes beginning in early pregnancy through the child's second birthday.
Baylor Scott & White Health is proud to partner with Nurse-Family Partnership to offer these services locally here in Waco through the support of Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Hillcrest.
We have NFP staff members who are bilingual and prepared to serve both Spanish-speaking and English-speaking families
To find out more about Nurse-Family Partnership in Waco and if you qualify for services:
Who qualifies for the Nurse-Family Partnership Program?
To find out more about Nurse-Family Partnership and if you qualify for services, call us at 254.202.1130 or complete the form on this page.
- First-time mother, any age
- At or less than 28 weeks pregnant
- McLennan County resident
- Eligibility is determined after a personalized review based on additional criteria
Our goal is to improve pregnancy outcomes, child and health development and maternal life course development
Ideally, visits begin early in the second trimester. Registered nurses visit the home weekly for the first month after enrollment and then every other week until the baby is born.
Visits focus on:
- The importance of routine prenatal care
- Reducing use of cigarettes, alcohol and illegal drugs
- Healthy nutrition during pregnancy
Child health and development
Registered nurses visit the home weekly for the first six weeks after your baby is born and then every other week through your child's first birthday. Visits continue every other week until the child is 20 months. The last four visits are monthly until your child is 2 years old.
Visits focus on:
- Parenting skills—including breastfeeding, bathing, diaper changing, etc.
- Positive home environment
- Environmental safety, both within and around the home
- Safe and consistent child discipline
- Proper healthcare routines
Future goal planning
An important component of the program is to teach mothers to keep their lives on track and develop a vision for their own future.
Throughout the in-home visits, our nurses will help mothers:
- Make reasoned choices about the partners, family and friends who are involved with their child
- Plan future pregnancies
- Continue their education and reach their educational goals
- Find adequate employment
If you would like to learn more about the services Nurse-Family Partnership provides in McLennan County, or if you would like to find out if you qualify for services, please feel free to use the form below to send us a secure, confidential message.
We will contact you within three business days. To speak with us sooner, please feel free to call 254.202.1130.