Brain injuries can result from a blow or multiple blows to the head from falls, accidents at home or work, recreational injuries, vehicle accidents and assaults. Getting care quickly is important in limiting potential damage and long-term effects of a traumatic brain injury, but it may take months or more for the full effects of TBI on brain function to become clear.
Traumatic brain injuries are always a medical emergency.
You can lower your risk of TBI by:
- Buckling up when riding in a vehicle
- Wearing a helmet as appropriate (biking/football/motorcycles)
- Limiting repeat head injuries like concussion
- Taking steps to prevent falls, especially for older adults
- Creating designated safe play areas for kids