Healthy bones and joints are key to your ability to a live normal, productive life. Fractures or disease, such as arthritis, can damage bones and joints, limiting your ability to complete daily activities and negatively impacting your quality of life.
Orthopedic specialists on the medical staff of Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – College Station use their expertise and experience to precisely diagnose and treat a wide variety of
orthopedic issues. From joint wellness to complex and minimally invasive surgical approaches, the specially trained orthopedic specialists, along with our nurses, are focused on helping you beat your orthopedic challenges.
We provide the following orthopedic services:
- Total joint replacement – knees, hips, shoulders
- Anterior hip replacement and muscle sparing hip replacement
- Joint wellness program
- Minimally invasive treatment for joints
- Joint reconstruction
sports medicine services
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
Total Joint Replacement
You rely on your hips, knees, shoulders and elbows every day. After years of constant use, they may begin to wear out, or you may experience an accident that injures or fractures them. With advances in technology and surgical procedures, orthopedic surgeons on our medical staff offer a variety of options for your joints, including total joint replacement. This approach completely replaces the damaged joint with an implant designed to provide a good-as-new joint.
Anterior Hip Replacement and Muscle Sparing Hip Replacement
A technique that allows the surgeon to get to the hip joint from the front has direct benefits for patients. Anterior hip replacement allows access to the hip joint through natural muscle planes instead of cutting through hip muscles. Patients who are candidates for this surgical technique typically experience reduced pain and recovery time. The surgeon will advise if you are a candidate for this procedure.
Joint Wellness Program
Every day, the experienced orthopedic surgeons on the medical staff at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – College Station help individuals get back in the swing of life with a new knee or hip. Replacing damaged or worn out hips and knees enables patients to resume their normal lives and enjoy a higher quality of life. Joint replacement is only the first step in achieving overall joint wellness. Thanks to a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary approach, Baylor Scott & White – College Station is by your side every step of the way on your joint replacement journey. From surgery to recovery to rehabilitation, our big picture philosophy to joint wellness supports quality outcomes for you and your family.
The Joint Wellness Program class is held twice a month and is one hour in length.
Classes are scheduled through the orthopedic clinic for patients who will be having total knee replacement or total hip replacement.
The class is designed to assist you with:
- What you can do to prepare for your homecoming after surgery by:
- Identifying a support person(s) and his or her contact info
- Identifying who will assist with housekeeping, grocery shopping and general driving tasks
- Identifying who will be driving you home
- Figuring out how to prepare and organize your home
- Determining what equipment needs to be obtained prior to coming home
- What to expect during each phase of your surgery
- What to expect with your care after surgery
- Pain management
- Physical therapy
- Blood clot prevention
- Getting up and moving
- What to expect when being discharged from the hospital
- Follow-up appointments
- Incision site care
- New medications
- Activity and rest
- When to return to work/drive
- Step by step postoperative guide for
- Appropriate exercises
- Activities of daily living
- Information on community support programs
Joint reconstruction can help relieve pain and restore function in joints that have undergone a previous procedure. Correction of a previous joint repair or replacement is typically more complex than an initial joint procedure. Orthopedic surgeons on our medical staff have the special expertise required to perform these complex procedures.
Sports Medicine Services
From a pick-up game of basketball to pumping iron with bad form to years of serving a tennis ball, sports activities can do an "end-run" on your bones and joints. Sometimes it takes the professional expertise of a sports medicine specialist—utilizing the latest diagnostic equipment and technologies—to help get you back in top form. Comprehensive care is our game plan, and helping athletes of all ages avoid injuries through proper form, strength and conditioning is our primary focus. The sports medicine specialists on the medical staff work with exercise physiologists and specially trained physical therapists and technicians to repair and rehabilitate all sports-related injuries, from the simple to the complex:
- Shoulder/elbow pain
- Hand/wrist pain
- Hip pain
- Knee pain
- Ankle and foot pain
Rehabilitation — Physical and Occupational Therapy
Our comprehensive care plan for orthopedic patients often includes rehabilitation: physical and occupational therapy. This is especially true for joint replacements, joint reconstruction and orthopedic trauma. Our licensed physical and occupational therapists specialize in patient-centered, individualized care designed to:
- Increase strength, endurance, coordination and range of motion
- Eliminate or reduce pain
- Improve your quality of life
- Help you regain the ability to perform routine activities of daily living
In our well-equipped physical and occupational therapy center, you’ll receive personalized care, including:
- Individualized physical and cognitive assessment and goal setting
- A personalized intervention plan custom-designed to improve your ability to perform daily tasks and work-related skills
- Ongoing re-evaluation and follow-up to monitor and support your progress
For more information on our orthopedic services, please call 979.207.4555.