The Child Life team
The Child Life team at Baylor Scott & White McLane Children's are trained professionals with expertise in helping reduce the stress and anxiety associated with hospitalization and illness in children.
Child Life specialists work with doctors, nurses, social workers, and other healthcare team members to meet the children's and their families emotional, developmental, and cultural needs.
Please reach out to us via phone or email.
- Enhance patient's understanding of medical procedures by utilizing developmentally appropriate language and teaching aids to describe the typical sequence of events and sensory information
- Support patients before, during and after medical procedures
- Utilize pictures, books, puppets/dolls, and realistic medical equipment to help prepare children in age-appropriate ways
- Collaborate with patients and families to customize a plan to maximize coping during healthcare experiences
- Identify alternative ways to promote pain management
Our activity centers are designed to be a safe environment for patients and families to relax and focus on having fun.
The Activity Center is located on the 4th floor of our inpatient unit. We offer numerous arts and crafts, medical play tools, board games, toys and video games for all ages.
For teens, we offer a special teen activity room with teen-specific activities not offered in the all-ages activity room. The Teen Activity Center is open to all patients ages 13–18 and is located on the 5th floor of our inpatient unit.
Patients and families are encouraged to visit our Ronald McDonald Family Room and Healing Garden on the first floor.
We offer individualized support and resources for siblings affected by their brother or sister's hospitalization or healthcare experiences.
Child Life coverage areas
- Medical surgical unit (MSU): Floors 4th and 5th floor
- Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU): 3rd floor
- Day surgery, special procedures unit and radiology: 2nd floor
- Activity center: 4th floor of the inpatient unit
- Teen lounge: 5th floor of the inpatient unit
- Outpatient specialty clinics