Reduce saturated fat and cholesterol
To protect your heart, you must reduce the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol in your diet. Choose low-fat, low-cholesterol foods whenever possible, seek out heart healthy diet recipes and ask for heart healthy diet menus when you eat out.
Examples of heart healthy diet foods include:
- Canola oil, olive oil, olives, avocado and nuts
- Non-fat or 1% milk, non-fat or low-fat yogurt
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, plain frozen vegetables
- Whole-grain bread, cereal, pasta, pretzels
- Fish*, white-meat chicken and turkey, dried beans, tofu and lean cuts of meat
*Children and pregnant women should avoid eating fish with the highest level of mercury contamination.